Friday, May 2, 2014

2 Awesome Weekends

Easter Weekend

We had an awesome Easter. Seriously amazing.

     This was on one of the rainy days and we
went to look at a camping store.
For the last 3 years, we have gone to the beach on my Spring or Easter break.

Every time we take a little getaway trip like this, we realize how rejuvenated and refreshed we feel when we do. As we have told you guys before, after my diagnosis we have really focused on resting- truly resting and figuring out what that was.

We are very busy people by nature, so for us to slow down and rest has been a struggle.

God says we have access to this rest, but I really don't think I have experienced it in the way he intended in a long, long time.

We of course strive to rest on the Sabbath, and to also be in a state of rest throughout our weeks, even when our life is crazy.

1 Kings 8:56 "Blessed be the LORD, who has given rest to His people Israel, according to all that He promised. There has not failed one word of all His good promise, which He promised through His servant Moses."
This is from our trip a few weeks before my mastectomy.

We are so much better at it now. Of course, we don't always have to go to the beach to rest, but it is a place that really forces you to do nothing else.

The first two days it rained, but we didn't care. We had our noses stuck in books and watching criminal minds/ law and order marathons.

Yes, we are old people. We know.

The first year we did this trip was right before my mastectomy surgery. It was a great trip, but filled with fear knowing that the inevitable was coming.

Last year, we took this weekend trip and this is when I got shingles...that trip was filled with lots of fear and pain, as we weren't sure what was going on at the time.


From our 2013 Trip. Shingles = Not Awesome.

This year, I had no physical ailment or fear that was tormenting me. Wow- praise God!!! Just to sit out by the pool or the beach and not have something hurt, really hurt- I cannot express into words what that felt like.

 I finally feel like myself again!




Friendly Couple Competition
Josh and I are very competitive, and we really enjoy doing activities together. I used to play golf with Josh (before my pec muscle got so tight after radiation), and we play volleyball together, ping pong, and he runs with me (occasionally:)). 

We used to play tennis together on our family nights when we lived right by a tennis court. We haven't played much since then outside of a few times with friends. So, we played tennis a few nights at the beach while we had access to the courts.

It was funny to say the least. I am terrible. Seriously terrible. Josh was so patient with me and we had lots of laughs. 

But of course my favorite moments were cuddling with this guy watching Spencer Reid and Penelope Garcia.

                                          

Aunt and Uncle Weekend

Last weekend was a great weekend as well. We got to keep my sweet nephew, overnight! My sister lives out of town, so any time we get to see them is a treat. 

He seriously is the sweetest, cutest, best little boy there is!

My awesome sis-in-law had her 30th birthday party, so we got to spend time with my niece and nephew together. It really doesn't get much better than that.

So, Rachel's sweet mom, Tina kept trying to make the little ones laugh. They smiled great, but she was too good! Almost all of the pics I am dying laughing at her attempts to make them smile. When I start laughing, it is soo hard for me to stop...






















There are weekends that are good, and then there are weekends that are awesome. I really encourage you to schedule time for rest. Even if you don't "get away"--- but to truly schedule resting time. 

I can promise you- I know for our lifestyle, if we don't schedule rest and time to "be still", it normally doesn't happen.

If we can get good at this now, I assume it will help us balance family life once we add a little one to the mix. I SO desire my life to be simple. To be restful. Thankful for weekends of rest and family time.

Resting in Him,

Aly


No comments: