Saturday, March 1, 2014

"No, I can't be the school nurse now!"

Not that kind of doctor

"Now that you're a doctor, will you be the school nurse now?" ha. Yes, one of my students asked me this yesterday at school. We had a little discussion on M.D. doctor vs. Ph.D. doctor---not sure if she understood at all, but I tried my best! I passed my dissertation defense, and that is what I've been up to lately, hence the lacking of blog posts.

Some middle school students decorated my office door celebrating my "doctor" status!



Yes. I passed my dissertation defense! Wow, what relief. Some times in life, I have had a goal and once I reach it, I don't really feel what I was expecting. I tend to have high expectations, and over the years I've learned to lower them somewhat, as I know they are relationship killers. But these expectations were MORE than reached!

Here is a picture at the beginning of my defense with my awesome committee chair, Dr. Sutton.



I had my defense on Wednesday and it really went wonderful. I had practiced several times, but of course I was worried about coming across in the manner I hoped to. I was so blessed by some of my family members and friends that we able to come and support me. It helped a lot having some familiar and friendly faces in the audience.

I love these girls. Such awesome friends, Emily and Sonja. Such blessings in my life.


Apparently, gold/yellow was the color of the day:)




After my defense, my committee also spoke some extremely kind words to me. I seriously have had the best team working with me. When people say, "I can't believe you have done all you've done with all you've been through," I can't take any of the credit. It all comes back to the amazement of God and my wonderful committee and colleagues that have pushed me and believed in me.

My amazing committee, Dr. Sutton. Dr. Simmons, Dr. Wilson and Dr. Ray



Here is super short clip of the end of my defense.



So, after we discussed my defense, they told me, "Congratulations, Dr. Taylor!" Wow, that is crazy to hear. I will have to get used to that title… I so don't see myself that way. So, after the defense, I felt immediate relief. Josh and I immediately got in the car and headed to Houston. I had a reconstructive appointment check-up Thursday morning. A sweet friend reminded me last night-- it was just victory after victory. Passing my dissertation defense, followed by a great reconstructive check-up.

We recently started re-watching the "24" series on netflix. We ran into "George Mason", actor Xander Berkeley at Brookshires on our way to Houston. He was so nice! Josh knew who he was immediately. A fun start to our trip!


We saw Dr. Villa and he basically wanted to see me and make sure everything still looked good. He checked all of my scars and then the rest of the time, we just spent catching up on life. He is so great to just sit there and talk to us. We headed back home really quickly, after a few of our staple stops.


Up and Coming

So, what's next? Well, directly next is Spring Break! Planning on resting and getting some things done that I haven't been able to because of this dissertation that has been over me! Also, my mom is taking me next week to an acupuncturist to see if it can help my headaches at all, so please be praying for that. Also, next week I am speaking at a function at ULM on Breast Cancer, so I would appreciate prayers for that as well.

Feeling blessed and trusting Him with what's ahead. In the mean time, if you have a physical ailment, do NOT call on me to be your doctor. I can't promise much in that arena. Love my sweet students.

I am continuing to build my faith and continuing to believe that God will continue His good work in me and my family. Josh snapped this picture in the car on the way home as I was sleeping. I won't go back to MD Anderson until June and won't have to wear another one of these bracelets until then either. 



"And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ." Philippians 1:6

Thank you for believing in me,


Aly

No comments: