Thursday, December 5, 2013

A Cancer Patient and Her Dog

A Toddler and His Dog



A few weeks ago, a picture of a little boy and a dog went viral, as the dog would take naps with this toddler. People all over the world "oohed and ahhed" over these precious pictures. I, too, have some precious pictures of my dog that leave me breathless.


Bella Reese

Bella Reese Taylor was born on October 28, 2006, shortly after we were married. My husband has wanted a chocolate lab ever since he was little. We found a full-blooded lab litter in the paper and a lady was selling them for $50! Yes, $50! We had to take the deal. At the time we were living in Alabama, so my mom picked her out, the chubbiest little chocolate lab puppy there ever was.


It was love at first site. Before we met her, we got these pictures and would literally obsess over them.

Much like a child, the first few months were challenging, and at one time, I was wanting to give her away, because I couldn't handle any more torn up toilet paper!!! (or beds)



We pushed through and beyond those trying puppy years came the sweetest, best, most loyal, caring dog there is. Of course, no prejudice at all.

She is Josh's dream dog. She adores him! 

His working buddy


BFFs


She's always vying for his attention...



She doesn't like for him to leave her for hunting...



Ever since my diagnosis, an entirely different love relationship developed between Bella and me. She started to love me even more than her daddy (and that's saying a lot!) She never left me alone when I was sick. Even when I tried to have a little relaxation...


Yes, I know she is preparing me for motherhood, from what I hear:) She supported me from day one, and even shaved a ribbon in her back! She really wished she could have ran in race for the cure...


She napped with me all the time, and when I was taking chemo, naps were happening A LOT. I remember waking up and her face being right by mine. She never wanted to leave me...


She literally was my shadow. She never got up to go outside, unless I got up. Wherever I was, she was there.


Even after chemo, when I was recovering, it took her a while to realize I was well. I was healed. She was so protective of her momma.




She was so sick of seeing me hurt. I wish I could have read her sweet little mind.


I love my prayer praying...


Nap taking...


Vet hating... 


Hate to see me leaving...


Baby loving, sweet Bella Reese


I can't wait to see her with my babies. Maybe she'll be the next toddler and dog sensation. Totally wouldn't surprise me...

A Cancer Patient and Her Dog
I personally think that these pictures are even sweeter than those precious photos of the toddler and his dog. She is my baby. I truly had no idea that Josh's "dream dog" would become one of my best friends.

Here's to all the dogs who have seen us at our best and worst and love us more for it...


Would love to hear some stories of what your dog means to you. Please comment below and join me in my sappy dog-loving mood today.


Loving my sweet girl today,


Aly





6 comments:

Shana said...

I don't have a dog, but my cat is very sensitive to my emotions. She always sticks close when I'm upset and will snuggle in my lap anytime I am down. When I was reading this post I couldn't help but tear up, she came and laid in my lap.

William Riddle said...

Aly, my only problem with this blog is I cannot decide which photo is my favorite. I love the ones of Bella sitting on the gun case and luggage case. The Praying Dog, though, is truly priceless.

Thanks for sharing this very creative blog.
~ William Riddle

Carla Mazzone said...

When I was going through chemotherapy my yellow lab, Annie, stuck to me like glue. She got to the point she did not want me to leave the house for treatment once a week. She was such a loving and constant companion. I miss her so much. She passed away at 11 yrs old 3 years ago. What a comfort she was to me.
Carla Mazzone

Unknown said...

Shana, it's amazing how in tune they are, isn't it? I love my sweet Bella

Bill, aw, thanks for the sweet words. I miss you guys! Yes, I love my praying girl. She always thinks something is wrong when I pray:) Thanks for your encouragement!

Carla, I am so sorry about Annie. I dont know what we will do when Bella passes away. She is so loved and so special. They truly are a gift!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this wonderful post Aly and I am so very glad you won the battle! I have not had to go through something like that - however, I recently had surgery and was in the hospital for a week. When I returned, my "husband's dog" would not leave my side. They are truly God's creatures.

- Catherine Romero

Aly Taylor said...

Catherine,

Thank you for your sweet words!